Sunday 18 October 2015

Beach Bum

The pants I was threatening to make in my last post have finally materialised. In fact, I've already worn them twice. 


The cotton seersucker is a little lightweight for pants, but as I plan to wear them walking on the beach and such like, they'll do very nicely. And they're a fabulous summer colour.


I was trying out Style pattern No 2991 (1980) to see how the fit would work. Pants are notoriously hard to get right and I really don't know the first thing about fixing the problems. I'm now resolved to book a private session at Geelong's newly-opened sewing school for a measure and fit.


The pattern is a size 12 which is designed for a 24 inch (61 cm) waist, which I had aged twenty-five. Now, four children and forty-four years later my waist is 27 ½ so I gained a little extra fabric by using only one dart on each quarter instead of two. I cut the waist a bit wider too and somehow, in spite of a few fittings along the way, it's a trifle roomy, but comfortable.


The waist is high in the style of the 1980s which I wasn't wrapped in but, having worn them twice, I appreciate the comfort factor. I've worn them each time with a cotton sweater so the waist is not on view.


This pattern is a little deep in the crutch for my particular nether region but I don't think it's noticeable.


The fabric has a subtle pattern of flowers and butterflies the latter of which all sit the same way up. Not a soul in the world would notice if some of them were standing on their heads—except me, that is. Adding to the cutting-out issue was a limited length of fabric. To cut out a pair of pants with a one-way print, you really need twice your length. I only had 73 inches (185 cm) to play with.


I circumvented the problem by cutting each front leg in two separate pieces so there is an angled and top-stitched join just below the knee. This rough drawing shows the pattern piece layout.


So, a solution to the shortage of fabric morphs into a feature, I always like that.


While the fit of these pants may not pass inspection by the trouser-tailoring police, I'm still pretty happy with them for knock-around summer gear. And for a $1.50 outlay for the fabric, whose complaining?



No comments:

Post a Comment